Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Laura's mysteries of international travel

1) Why is it that American tourists seem to be inexorably drawn to wooden giraffes?

2) Why do overseas flights make my nose bleed?

3) Why can I understand all manner of accents, but all manner of accented people seem to battle with mine? (Perhaps I just speak badly?)

4) Why does Gate 6 at OR Tambo International open on to a passage? Surely the couple of hundred passengers waiting for their flight can't all mill around in the passage?

10 comments:

The Weckler said...

Hey!! I happen to look on my wooden giraffe lovingly every day and think wonderful thoughts of SA!!!

;)

Laura said...

^ really?!? You really bought a wooden giraffe? :D

Okay, explain to me the particular lure of the wooden giraffe! Why not wooden lions or bowls or pottery? Or beaded zebra? :)

Anonymous said...

While I wouldn't dare guess at the rest, number 2 probably has something to do with the air pressure in the aircraft cabins. When the pressurize, your sinuses/blood vessels in your nose expand and break the thin inner nasal skin.

At least, that's what I'd imagine...

TashJoeZA said...

There are no answers to these great mysteries, I'm afraid. Ours is but to wonder and ponder!

Giraffes are pretty cute, though, so I can understand their appeal.

The Weckler said...

I cannot confirm nor deny that I also bought a beaded zebra. Or a zulu meat tray, 2 batiks, 4 raku figurines, and a carved elephant. Oh, and elephant dung stationary.

If there's one thing Americans know how to do, it's float national economies with compulsive spending!!

The Weckler said...

Oh, and the allure of the giraffe was that I saw the flesh ones and was totally amazed. And the wood one I bought was really sweet. Had a lot of character. And was something like 40 rand.

Laura said...

Elephant dung stationary!!!!! :D

I shouldn't laugh though, I'm a sucker for curio type stuff too!

It was just really funny, watching all the people with wooden giraffes in the airport. All packaged and taped up to take on the plane :)

The Weckler said...

So, how long are you in the US? And where are you exactly?

I just got an application packet for a grant/scholarship to go to SA for 5 weeks with the US Dept of Education and study Women, Social Change, and Education. It is like a dream come true. Well, it will be if it actually does come true!

Laura said...

I'm in Urbana, Illinois, till December :)

I hope you get the scholarship, that would be FANTASTIC!!! Where will you be based in SA for your research?

The Weckler said...

We would be going to a series of universities for lectures, seminars, etc. From there, we will also do excursions. The cities are: Johannesburg, Cape Town, Pretoria, Alice, Durban, and Zululand.

I am really hoping for this to come through. It is EXACTLY what I am interested in, and I believe it can really help my future plans! I am praying, praying, praying!!