Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pay for Peace


The city of New York is running what they call the "Pay for Peace Gun Buy Back programme". Their aim is to get guns off the streets, so they offer $200 in exchange for guns, no questions asked.

People can hand in their guns for $100 at police stations any time, but this buy back programme is being run through churches. Pastors claim that people are a lot more likely to hand in a gun at a church than a police station. Which makes sense - I'm sure people involved in criminal activities don't want to go anywhere near a police station.

"Drop off your gun in exchange for a $200 bank card Saturday from 11a.m. to 5 p.m. at: Sts. Peter and Paul Church, 71 S. Third St.; All Saints Church, 115 Throop Ave., St. Barbara Church, 138 Bleecker St. and Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei Church, 225 Seigel St."

I tried to see how many guns had been collected so far, and the numbers vary in different news reports. Looks like it is well over a thousand though.

I wonder if something like this would work in South Africa?




(Pic from here, info from here and various other sources.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it would work here ... and the next week all the guns would be stolen from the churches again anyway!
How about some comments on Zuma's reception and reactions in the US?