Friday, October 10, 2008

For my birthday


I am going to be away from home for my birthday in November, so I have been thinking about it now. People often ask me what I would like for my birthday, so this year:

For my birthday I would like to have tea with Julius Malema.

Imagine how fabulous that would be! Julius, please explain to me why you think Lekota's party will "right-wing"? Do you really mean to *eliminate* people? Did you get into trouble with your party for those comments? What does the head of the ANCYL do every day?

Fabulous.

So? Surely someone out there has a friend of a friend who is friends with Julius Malema? Tell him I'll pay :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I saw when I saw this page was "What I Want For My Birthday" and Julius' head. My first reaction was to imagine you saying (in a creepy voice) "Bring me the head of Julius Malema..."

:D

Anonymous said...

Yes, I imagine you will pay ...

Anonymous said...

Having Malema for your birthday is simply ruining your day, year and life. The man is corrupt though a good leader.

I dont think it will be a good idea unless you'l talk about something else rather than politics.

chers!!!!!!!!! keep in touch

AQUILOGY said...

Julius malema is not as bad as people think, I met him when I was still in high School and he wasn't as radical as he is now.

Laura said...

^ see, so the tea would be a good idea! :)

Vincent, why do you think he is corrupt?

TashJoeZA said...

I could give you the ANCYL spokesperson's contact details, if you like...?

I think it's pretty noble that you're keen to actually sit down with someone as controversial and oft-quoted (misquoted???) as Julius Malema. Hoping to set the record straight and make up your own mind about him rather than relying on other people's/the media's contributions?

Laura said...

No no no, its for my birthday - I mustn't do the organising!! :)

Its not so much noble as curious - wouldn't you like to have tea with Julius? What fun. And you never know, we might well get along... :)

TashJoeZA said...

There was a letter in the Sunday Times from an ANCYL member in the Free State who lambasted the press for portraying Malema so negatively. In his letter, this guy said that (and here I begin paraphrasing, so these are not my opinions) unlike most ANC leaders, young and old, Malema has not forgotten his mother - he has not moved to a big larney house in the suburbs. Instead, he's built her a house. He's also launched a literacy programme for schoolkids and remains actively involved in his home district. Plus, said the letter writer, he's a responsible young man who is 27 and only has one child.

See, though, this is all well and good, but I'm not certain that stuff makes him a good leader for the ANCYL! Sure, he's civic-minded and respectful of his elders (well, his mother - he doesn't respect party elders), but so what?

Anyway, just an aside for ahead of your 'date'!

Laura said...

I can actually *completely* believe that. John and I were chatting about Malema on the weekend, saying that it can't be great to be him at he moment - he must be followed by an entourage of journalists just waiting in hope of him using aggressive words.

I know its not really fair to blame "the media" - but I think this whole hoo ha about Malema is largely just something the media has created. He probably is on the radical side of things, but as Trevor Manuel says - he too said some radical things when he was young.

And I think something that is really important is that we don't silence people when we disagree with them. Of course incitement to violence crosses the line, thats not okay. But I think a lot of what Malema has said isn't actually an incitement to violence. And the views he expresses are probably held by *lots* of people. Especially if he is a hasn't-forgotten-his-mother kindof guy, like you are saying.

In which case, surely we *want* these voices to be heard? Surely its better to know what people are saying and thinking? Because that gives us insight into what the real issues and concerns and angers of people in our country are...

Surely it would be better to listen to Malema and say "What?!? People are thinking/saying these sorts of things? Man there are some angry people out there... I think we need to give them a platform to air their grievances and try and address them..."
Rather that "Malema is a rabid idiot with Std 6 education who is single handedly going to destroy our democracy by rallying people to violent acts..."

And I think the irony is that violence is what people resort to when they are powerless, when they speak and people don't listen, when all they see are closed doors and turned backs.

Anyway /rant ended!

Hey, don't you want to join us for tea? :)