1.) Yesterday I was chatting to a friend who is interning at an Eastern Cape hospital said they are having huge problems with medical staff leaving, mostly emigrating. Then today another friend who is working at Red Cross Children's Hospital in Cape Town said they are badly short staffed.
Oh dear oh dear.
2.) My car has millions of things wrong with it again. Ok ok just the wheel alignment and apparently there is something wrong with the timing (whatever that means) and my windscreen wipers are wiping off the side of my car which is unbelievably distracting while you're driving and I fear one day they are just going to fly off entirely.
All of which means $$$$$.
Oh dear oh dear.
3.) At some point in the forseeable future I am going to have to get a real job in the real world.
OH DEAR oh dear!
4.) I am sufferring from a severe reading backlog. I can't justify buying more books or even taking more books out of the library until I've finished some of my present reading.
At the moment I'm reading:
* How Can Man Die Better (The Life of Robert Sobukwe)
* To The Brink: The State of Democracy in South Africa
* Colour Bar: The Triumph of Seretse Khama and His Nation
* God on Monday
... I was reading A Short History of Nearly Everything but I gave that up a while Ago. And on my "I am going to read this imminently, I have it in my room waiting" list is Long Walk to Freedom (I know, I know, I still haven't read it) and Capitalist Nigger (which I have to return to someone so I must read in quickly). I need to diversify a bit in my reading I think!
5.) Most exciting: I'm going to a conference in Polokwane next week. Hurrah!! I've never been to that part of the country and I'm very excited!
My friend who is from there said I must be careful because it's "very political" around there. I'm not quite sure what that means but maybe it means I should carry Walter Sisulu's biography (its also on my "imminent reading" list) around in my backpack in case I'm accused of being part of a counter-revolutionary force and get myself into trouble. Like this poor guy, gosh. On that note - why was more not made of that story in the press? It was chilling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
LOL at the whole post. I also am nervous at the thought of getting a job soon.
BTW How come you didn't cover the Grahamstown arts festival. I was really hoping to hear your thoughts on it.
Oh ja, I should do a post on festival. I will do so tonight!
Gr8 I can't wait
Sorry I started a festival post but I have to finish packing to leave tomorrow! I will have to try finish and post it later in the week!
What in the world do your friends mean by Polokwane being "political"? Ie. it's where the ANC's national conference happened? *blink blink* People are so weird. I think you will probably be all right without the book for back-up, as you can merely explain to people that you're a scientist and they will leave you be. Looking forward to hearing about the conference and, like Aquilogy, Fest.
I lost my Seretse Kharma book on the plane :(
Post a Comment