Saturday, July 19, 2008


Perhaps if I had lots of money I would buy myself a new car. Then I would need proper insurance so my beautiful new car, if stolen, could be replaced. And I would need to worry about it being stolen when I parked in certain places.
Also if I had a beautiful car I would want a sound system for it. Then I would worry about someone stealing my sound system. So I would have to carry the CD player face around in my bag.
And of course, you can't have people eating in your new new car. Ice-cream splats on my new interior? Are you kidding! I'd also have to up my game in terms of cleaning my car. No, with a new new shiney car I have to worry about cleaning cloths scratching the paintwork. And waxing. And cleaning the interior properly. I'd probably have to take it in to get a proper valet service regularly.
And of course new cars don't stay sparkling for long. I would have to worry about scratching it while parking. The thought gives me chills. I hope the insurance will cover all of it. Probably not, if the scratch is bad. And if the surface is faux metallic its a real mission to cover scratches. And I don't want to lose my no-claim status with my insurance, so maybe I will just have to have the scratches fixed myself. I'll have to go to the authorised dealer for my fancy new car, not the family mechanic in the back alley. And the authorised dealer charges like... an authorised dealer. Oh dear.
And I would have to worry about who could and couldn't drive my car in terms of my insurance because if a friend has an accident in my car, insurance might be unwilling to pay out. And I would have to worry about my mileage because I would want to have a good resale value. Because of course a new new car only stays new new for a couple of years. So in a couple of years I will be looking for something shinier and sleeker, advertised in a moving TV advert telling my how this car will change my life. And how I will be the envy of all of my friends.

Oh dear it all sounds exhausting.


I'm being facetious really, I would actually love to get a new car. My present car is lovely, but old, and seems to continually have something wrong with it. So yes, I would love a new car.

But its amazing how more money and more stuff just makes you more worried about keeping your more money and more stuff and protecting your more money and more stuff, and increasing your more money and more stuff.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." Matthew 6:19-20

No comments: