Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Foundation of Kindness.

Did anyone else pick up Kgalema Motlanthe's (ANC deputy president) gentle rebuke to Julius Malema and the "Kill for Zuma" team in the last edition of ANC Today? It was in a piece on Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday, entitled "He who has laid the foundation of kindness" (If you want to read it for yourself).

In a section entitled "Our historical obligation":

In his poem, To Posterity, the world-renowned German poet Bertolt Brecht says, "To those who shall emerge from this flood into which we are sinking" remember that those who took up arms did so in order "to lay down the foundation of kindness". But they themselves could not be kind because they had to confront a brutal regime. Therefore, to the younger generations, to posterity, to those of us who have benefited from the efforts of the generation of Nelson Mandela, we have to choose very carefully our historical obligation, because we cannot take up arms when we have a democratic constitution and country.


Beautiful. Thanks Mr Motlanthe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*dances around wildly*

I agree wholeheartedly - I think that people often justify violence as something allowed because it is their heritage - instead of seeing through the eyes of the previous generation who survived the atrocities of violence to leave a peaceful heritage.

Go Motlanthe!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, only Motlanthe came to his senses and said something that is worthy, meaningful and very relevant.

Just like a future President would!

Go Motlanthe X2!!!

KASIEKULTURE! said...

Now that i have found you I will keep coming back to you. Something interesting was published in City Press as a feature about how will ordinary folks like you and i be summoned to the HRC without us daring them to settle old scores with Julius first. Imagine that, you and me humbling ourselves while folks with big mouths and small brains can easily defy such an August body. Hey, I'm coming back

Mahendran Govender said...

Bloody Brilliant.

Amen to that.

not to your last commentators comment though...cos I have no idea what that meant? o_O

Laura said...

I know it was a bit cryptic!

How about a link to the City Press Article,
10workersmedia? :)

AQUILOGY said...

Motlhante is the man