I took a walk down to Exclusive Books today. I love Exclusive Books. I love book shops. I love books actually, thats the bottom line. I wish I could walk into Exclusive Books with a couple of thousand rands and just feel free to buy.
The section I always linger longest in in Exclusive is the African / South African section. Thats where I got Albert Luthuli's autobiography, for example, and Colour Bar, the story of Seretse Khama and his wife. I spend more time there wishing I could buy books than actually buying books, sadly!
So today I perused the African / South African section and added to my list of books I would like to buy: Unbowed by Wangari Maathai, To The Brink by Xolela Mangcu. I'd rather like to read After the Party by Andrew Feinstein too. Cyril Ramaphosa's biography by Anthony Butler, Believe in Mairacles by Gerald Shaw. Amongst others. I'd really like to get hold of books about Oliver Thambo and Walter Sisulu, but I haven't found much yet. I've seen Oliver Tambo Remembered, but its a compilation of pieces by various people remembering him, and tributes to him. I'd rather read some sort of biography first. Oliver Tambo Remembered is also heinously expensive. Maybe I'll shell out for it when it comes out in soft cover.
I read Athol Fugard's Tsotsi recently and it completely ruined the movie for me. The book was amazing. In many ways the movie is true to the book, but it made changes here and there and the ending is entirely different. The most grievous difference for me, though, is that the movie lost so much of the depth of the book. I enjoyed the movie when I watched it, thought some parts disturbed me, and I was quite proud that it was a South African production. But now I just see it as a shallow attempt at the book.
Another book that made quite an impact on me was I Write What I Like by Steve Biko. For some reason I suddenly decided last year that I must read it, and I must read it immediately. So I searched for it *everywhere*. You would not believe the number of libraries that had copies of it that had gone missing. I eventually found it in a bookshop and bought it before it could disappear and while I was paying for it the shop assistant told me I was lucky to get it, that it was the last copy. I tore through it so fast that I should probably read it again to let it all sink in. One day, I confess, I took it to work with me and just sat in front of my computer and read it. It was pretty intense, it put me off life (and food) for a while.
My mom bought me Some of My Best Friends are White by Ndumiso Ngcobo for Christmas. Its a real laugh, but very crude in places so I can't really wholeheartedly recommend it, unfortunately. But its very funny, and insightful, and its probably the kind of book we need in South Africa at the moment. In that its quite light hearted but its also not afraid to tackle some really taboo subjects. Its a real people book, which I like.
I'm busy working my way through How Can Man Die Better? by Benjamin Pogrund, which is Robert Sobukwe's biography. I'm enjoying it but its quite heavy reading, so I've been reading it between other things.
Of course, there are always the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency books, which are a great delight!
And Albert Luthuli's autobiography Let My People Go is a must read for *everyone*. Yes, everyone. Read it. You can borrow it from me if you want, just return it on pain of death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Hahaha! I bought my Mom 'Some of my best friends are White' for Christmas and turns out it wasn't the, uh, safest buy. Some choice words. Which I don't particularly mind, but not appropriate for my Mom. Doh!
Hey, really enjoying your blog - you write well and insightfully and I enjoy your perspective on South Africa and what it needs right now.
:)
Thanks!
Re "Some of my best friends are white"... when I lend it to people I just add the disclaimer:
"don't read the marmite chapter. Its not a metaphor!"
:)
Har har!
Wow! You are quite the Africana aficionado! You put me to shame. Last year I found the African section in my local library in London and decided to read as many as I could. I must say I only managed to get through Long Walk to Freedom (it took me 3 months) before the library closed down for renovations. But I think I shall have to try again!
I totally agree with you about the Tsotsi book vs movie. I really enjoyed the movie, especially the soundtrack, although sheesh it was almost too hectic. And then I read the book and it didn’t seem quite as good any more. What struck me about the book was that Fugard managed to write in such a way that it was both funny and poignant at the same time, whereas the movie was altogether too serious and tragic. And the book's ending was so much better than the movie's.
No 1 Ladies Detective agency are also wonderful though! I love the style of writing, and Mma Ramotswe is so wise!
Don't tell anyone, but I haven't even read Long Walk to Freedom!!! Ack its just too long! Its been sitting on my bookshelf shaming me for ages.
Yayi for you agreeing about Tsotsi! I was actually going to comment on the great sound track but my post was getting so long. I was so chuffed to hear one of my favourite Mafikizolo songs :)
On Saturday I'm going to see Fugard's Sizwe Banzi is Dead in PE - SO EXCITED!
Forgive me posting here months after the fact, but remind me to lend you tons of books when you visit us in the Mother City...I think quite a few of my favourite books would fall into the "not appropriate" category, but there are others I think you'd love. Two, off the top of my head, are The Bang-Bang Club, which is by various SA photographers who were working during the late 80s and early 90s and really captured the dying days of apartheid, and Stardust by Neil Gaiman (particularly if you've seen the movie, as the movie wasn't a patch on the book).
In fact, anything by Neil Gaiman comes highly, highly recommended.
OK, it's not Africana, but still...
(and finally, the trick with Exclusive Books is to get a Fanatics card and buy two or three books a month, thereby getting lovely vouchers and interesting deals)
Yayi Thanks Tash :)
I tried to get a fanatics card last time I went to Exclusive but they didn't have the paperwork stuff...
But I'm leaning more and more towards online book shopping...
Oh, online shopping is FTW! You can pick up heaps and heaps of rare books online, usually for ridiculously low prices. I'm a big loot.co.za and kalahari.net fan - both deliver on time and their prices are very reasonable. My shopping basket on kalahari is piled high, but I never make it to the "checkout" stage because I always browse online when I'm broke and grumpy, which is counterintuitive in the extreme.
Post a Comment