Its funny how blog my entries end up getting so long. I really try and keep them short and readable but when I actually post them up they always end up longer than I think they will be.
My blog entry A few of my favourite things, for example, was really meant to be about something else entirely. Then the introduction got so long I had to cut it short.
So here is Part 2, what that blog entry was really meant to be about.
So I was lingering in the African / South African section of Exclusive books, my favourite section. To get to that section of the East London Exclusive books you have to pass by the extensive Christian section. The Christian section is pretty huge, I think it probably has more books that some soley Christian book stores I've been to. I often browse the Christian book section too, but usually only after drooling over the African / South African section.
The other day a friend of mine asked me if I like reading Christian books. I do, yes. I have quite a few Christian teaching books on my book shelf. And I've been engrossed in my fair share of Francine Rivers.
There are tons of great books in the Christian section. Novels. Christian classics: Brother Lawrence, C.S. Lewis. Bible commentaries I would really love - man, some verses are cryptic sometimes. I could use all the insight I can get into the Bible. And inspirational books. Books that share people's insights and revelations on certain topics. That unpack Biblical teaching in certain areas. Lately I've also noticed a new genre in the Christian books section, of more contemporary out of the box books about Christian living. Like Blue like Jazz (which I own, and love, and recommend), Velvet Elvis (which I haven't read, but would like to) and The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical (which I read part of then had to return to its owner, and highly recommend). Those books are exciting.
Yup, I dig the Christian book section. I always find a lot I would love to read. In fact, the sheer volume of Christian teaching and inspirational writing is a bit overwhelming sometimes.
But I nervously admit, the Christian book section just doesn't draw me quite the way the African / South African section does. I'm quite frugal... not easily parted with my money. But I must say I would rather pay R150 for Robert Sobukwe's biography or Steve Biko's book than... almost anything else. A new Bible commentary included, I'm afraid.
So I was thinking about this the other day. And I realised a few things.
It is good, it is definately good, to read the Bible, study it, read books that give us insight into it. To read books that give us insight into God and his work on the earth. To read books that lead us to love God more. And love people more.
But these books aren't always going to be "Christian books." The won't always be in the "Christian book" section.
God made us all with different things we carry in our heart, different interests and concerns and passions. Maybe your heart beats for children or business leadership or education or history or worldviews. Maybe your heart beats to fight for downtrodden people. To conserve our planet. Or to bring truth and beauty into art and literature and media. To see sick people healed and communities restored. Maybe you're really creative and you hate cheeseyness. Who knows.
The things that make our hearts beat faster, when we are in that place where we are being who God made us to be and pursuing the things he put in our hearts, thats very often where we find God.
We can meet God in a book about prayer. Or a devotional book. But we can also meet God in a book about refugee camps, if that is a subject that grips our hearts. And draws us to him with our anger and questions, our petitions, our hopes and our day dreams.
If God is more real to me in the African / South African section, then that is where I must be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment