Do you sometimes find words coming out of your mouth, and even as you are saying them you are cringing and a part of your brain is crying out "why are you doing this?!?!?!"
Well, that happens to me sometimes, and one recent occasion was at a student conference in Stellenbosch. I had ditched some of my fellow students who were still out drinking, and come home around 1am-ish, so that I wouldn't be an absolute vegetable at the conference that day. We were staying in res accommodation at Stellenbosch so there was a Stellenbosch student on duty to at the front desk. I chatted to him briefly on my way up to my room, asking him what he was studying. He was a theology student, doing a Master's thesis on something about the Christian response to poverty.
This was when I opened my mouth and had the "what the heck are you saying Laura??" experience, as I asked him why he would choose to study theology as Stellenbosch, in the actual actual department where apartheid was conceptualized? (He was coloured, maybe that makes my question make more sense.)
Anyway, outside of my instant mortification at having asked such a question, we had an interesting chat about it and he said some very thought provoking things.
One of the things he said was that he wouldn't be there if he didn't believe that people had the capacity to change. Isn't that quite profound?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Hi, Laura--don't know if you remember me, but we met on a Donald Miller fan forum a long time ago. And I must say, as an American, I see nothing wrong with your forward question!
Also, if you're at Stellenbosch, I am currently in CPT, not that far away!!
Hey! Sadly I don't live in Stellenbosch, I was just there for a conference. I live on the East Coast :)
How long are you in Cape Town for? Because I do sometimes visit CT!!
What are you up to in CT? How are you enjoying it? :)
Post a Comment