Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bang bang club

I saw the movie Bang Bang Club this past weekend. I thought it was pretty good actually. I've read a few criticisms of it, which I think are valid. But it was also good to see some of the things that were going on during that period, and to remember what we got through.

But this post is not about any of that. This post is about non-South African actors playing South Africans. The accents in this movie were a bit weird, but then I think contrived South African accents will probably almost always sound weird to actual South Africans. And they weren't the worst, as South African accents go.

But was what truly funny was their slang. I assume some sort of South African accent coach must have told them that South African men use the slang words "bru" and "china." Which is true. But the characters seem to fit them into nearly every sentence. Really.

So as the world produces ever more movies set in South Africa, I am putting forward a list of alternative South African slang expressions. As a service to humanity.

I can only think of a few for now, but please feel free to add as you think of any...
(as I was writing this list I found some lists of SAfrican slang online, on wikipedia for example. You'd think the movie directors would have done a google search ;) )

South African slang
-------------------
china
bru
boetie
hectic
eish
Ag
tjommies
dinges
woes
kiff

1 comment:

Steve Hayes said...

china is actually Cockney rhyming slang -- "china plate" = "mate".

But used a lot in South Africa.

A few more:

sharp-sharp
next of next week
bakkie
fundi