Thursday, October 08, 2009

The problem with Cape Town

I spent the last week in Cape Town work work/studies related stuff. Cape Town is always lots of fun, lots of things to do. And I have a friend there who has the two most lovely little girls, so I get to do things like go to the beach with kids - it's so much more fun with kids!

But one of my worst things about going to Cape Town is that I'm never allowed to pay for my own meals. Yup, I go out for lunches, dinners, with friends... and they always pay. I have quite a few friends who have moved to Cape Town. And now they all have jobs and all the trappings of having jobs in the big city. So they think, I suppose, that it will be generous of them to pay for their student-friend's meal.

And it is generous. Only after person after person after person insists on paying for your meal, it becomes quite humiliating!!!

2 comments:

AQUILOGY said...

I didn't wanna comment on this because I was gonna come across as cheap but what the heck..... If I was in your shoes, I would enjoy this like there's no tomorrow, free food, I love food and when I don't have to pay for it, i love it even more.lol.
The best way to counter this is to keep ordering expensive meals, they'll have no choice but to ask you to contribute to the bill, if that doesn't work then you have some rich friends.

Laura said...

:D

I'm just too proud, so it makes me feel like I'm the loser at the table. Which is useless really, I should just get over myself.

Free myself to enjoy free meals!!

You can be my mentor. I am still awed that you used to crash weddings...