Monday, October 05, 2009

Of pretense and protest

A wonderful article by Professor Njabulo Ndebele:

Of Pretense and Protest

At the end of his recent Mail & Guardian article, "In the rainbow nation, colour and class still count", David Smith recalls "a cynic whispering" in his ear that's not easy to forget: "The whites are pretending it didn't happen; the blacks are pretending to forgive." As I thought further about this, I concluded that, in the light of the interracial events Smith recalls in his article, there may in fact be a positive value to pretence.

...

The rest here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You are then locked in a space of anguish."

so what can i do? i acknowledge, apologise and remain contrite. i try to make reparation, offer education and just try and do the right thing. it ain't always easy, sometimes i don't get it right, but i try...

Laura said...

Didn't he get it so right though? Sheesh, I felt like he was looking into my soul when he wrote that section on white people!

You know, for me it largely just means that I acknowledge my own uselessness and cluelessness and try do my bit, realizing that I get it wrong a lot of the time. Which is pretty much what you are saying I think!!!