Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A question on blank spoiled votes

Question for the floor:

I heard today that there were a surprisingly high number of blank spoiled votes in the April election in the GHT region.

Was this because:

a) These were people who did not want to vote (for whatever reason) but felt they needed to be seen to vote, because of real or perceived intimidation.

b) These were people who had supported the ANC in the past and perhaps still support the ANC, and who believe in the importance of voting, but felt they could not vote for the ANC in this particular election (for whatever reason). But out of loyalty to the ANC they also could not vote for another party.

c) These were people who believe in the importance of voting but felt that their views and concerns were not represented by any of the parties on the ballot.

d) Other reasons (please expand!)


I'm curious because at the talk where I heard this fact, people proposed a couple of reasons for the blank votes. And I had my own thoughts. And I'd be interested to hear what other people think...

5 comments:

Brave Heart said...

It may be to say that "The beautiful ones are not yet born."

Brave Heart said...

Hi Laura, have you gone AWOL! Your fans are missing you.

Laura said...

Oh sho thanks!

The problem is actually just that blogger.com doesn't seem to be working properly for me at the moment. I've wanted to do a few posts but the blogger interface where you actually type your posts is messed up. I thought it was just a glitch that blogger would fix, but maybe I need to update my browser or something!

MoAfrika said...

I take it GHT means Grahamstown, right? Well, the cynic in me doubts whether people would go out to spoil ballots. Those with the sophistication to appreciate the concept of a spoilt ballot would probably stay at home or go fishing, golfing, etc. rather than stand in the queue just to exercise their right. That leaves me with two options, illeteracy in a broad sense i.e. more than just people not being able to read and write; and post voting "spoiling" of the ballots. Yep, I'm cynical.

Laura said...

"Post voting "spoiling" of the ballots"
!!
I hadn't even thought of that.