Wednesday, April 08, 2009

We're poor people

I had all of these ideas for blog topics, but they have all just entirely escaped me. Oh well.

I'm busy watching Blood Diamond with some friends. Having just finished an argument about Zuma/Mbeki and a discussion about the EAC (East African Community).

Ah this is a sad movie. What they do to these child soldiers especially.

I was all ready to blog about the NPA announcement, but I'm just over it now. All I have to say on that matter is to share a proverb I remembered today: "When two bulls fight, the grass suffers."

Instead let me tel you about a terrible faux pas I made a few days ago. I was in Pick 'n Pay shopping with my digsmate. We were walking past the meat section, and I noticed these huge rolls of polony, and I said...

*pause here*
You need some background. Firstly, I had recently been speaking to my digsie about the sad state of my bank account, and were were commiserating about our lack of money.
Now you know when you hang out with the same people for many years, you develop your own slang. One of our slang phrases is "we are poor people." I don't know where it came from, but it is said with a certain itonation and it is just a way of saying that we don't have any money.
Okay, secondly, I quite like polony. My digsmate loathes it.
*unpause*

... and I said something along the lines of, "Hey, lets get one of those polonys, because we are poor people!"

!!!

Now I was really just teasing my digsmate about her polony aversion, using a turn of phrase we always use.

But *woops* - because that is not what it looked like! It looked like I was mocking poor people eating polony!! Eish. A man walking past gave me quite a look!

I should watch my tongue!

4 comments:

MoAfrika said...

Eish on you about the poverty thing. I too have been thinking lots about blog topics. The NPA thing has been stewing in me but I decided to sound all profound and wrote "1994". On a different note, my daughter (the one who's not talking to me and is generally rude and sulky) is thinking about going to Rhodes next year. You would understand how I would be worried right?

AQUILOGY said...

You didn't tell us if you bought the polony or not.lol

Laura said...

MoA - your daughter... ja, I understand why you might be worried! Rhodes is great but there really is a lot of room to go off the rails. What does she want to study?

Aqu - I didn't buy it then! I bought some today though... the man after me in the cold meat queue bought some and inspired me!

TashJoeZA said...

While I was still at varsity, the first thing I would eat upon returning to my parents' home for vacation was a polony and pickle sandwich, always on white bread, slices of polony and bread cut extra thick, with a big glass of Coke or a strawberry-flavoured Yogi Sip to wash it down.

I shudder to think about it.

Mo, there is no reason to panic about Rhodes - just see if you can have her fitted with a tracking device that notifies you when she's in a pub or getting up to mischief. :)