My friends and I decided to have an election party. But we live in a block of flats so we have limited options party wise, unless we sucker someone else into letting us use their house as a venue. Which is a mission. So we were trying to think of something fun we could do to celebrate the elections. Because it is important to celebrate these things! (We celebrated freedom day last year, for example).
Se we eventually came up with "30 Seconds: SA Election 2009 edition" - we are going to play the board game 30 seconds, but make our own additional South Africa and election themed cards to supplement the original cards. I have been charged with making the cards. The words I have to put on the cards, so far, are:
affirmative action, alive with possibility, African Renaissance, Alan Boesak, alliance, aluta continua, arms deal, Ballot paper, Bantu Holomisa, black diamonds, black economic empowerment, Blade Nzimande, bourgeois, broad based black economic empowerment, bus rapid transit, cadre, campaign, civil society, coalition, cock a snook, Colonisation, commission of enquiry, comrade congress of the people, conscientise, constitution, COPE, Cosatu, counter revolutionary, crime, Currie Cup, Deborah Patter, democracy, deploy, Desmond Tutu, Drankensburg, Elections, emigrate, Eskom, Evita Bezuidenhout, fifa world cup, food parcels, food security, freedom, gautrain, Gwede Mantashe, Helen Zille, Hugh Masikela, Human rights, Imbizo, Independant Electoral Commission, informal settlement, Interface, investigation, Isidingo, Jacob Zuma, judiciary, Julius Malema, Kgalema Motlanthe, KFC, lambast, land reform, liberation, Luthuli house, Madiba, Mafikizolo, Mahendra, Mangosuthu, Msholozi, Buthelezi, manifesto, MEC, Miriam Makeba, mobilise, Motorcade, national democratic revolution, National Prosecuting Authority, Nelson Mandela, Nkandla, Nkosi Sikeleli, opposition party, Orlando Pirates, Outcomes Based Education, parliament, Patricia de Lille, Polokwane, premier league, president, province, rainbow nation, rally, reconciliation, republic, Rivonia, ruling party, rural development, SABC, SAFM, scorpions, Sevende Laan, Steven Friedman, swart gevaar, Table mountain, Task team, tender, Terror Lekota, Thabo Mbeki, Third degree, Thulasizwe Simelani, trade union, transformation, travelgate, treatment action campaign, Trevor Manuel, two-thirds majority, ubuntu, UDM, Umkhonto we Sizwe, umshini wam, Union buildings, universal franchise, vuvuzela, woodwork, Zapiro, Zwelinzima Vavi
I was trying to strike a balance between ones people are more likely to know, and ones people are less likely to know! I'm still thinking up more - anyone want to contribute some? :)
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I don't know if this maybe isn't in poor taste, but how about a few words based on the controversies leading up to the elections?
NPA
Conspiracy
Constitution Court
Mokotedi Mpshe*
Bulelani Ngcuka*
Vusumzi Pikoli*
Also, a few others:
Mail & Guardian
Zapiro
Media
Vote
The Struggle (note the "The" :) )
15 years
... and that's all I've got for now. Maybe more, later, when I've thought about it ;)
* - I had to wikipedia these, either to get these, or to get full names/spelling :)
This looks like it is going to be so much fun. My wife has decided that we are having an election braai at our home. She also decreed that those who are invited must come bearing the mark of democracy (the ink thingy) otherwise they will be refused entry.
Yayi for your election braai! "The mark of Democracy" - wonderful! I think if we had a garden & braai area we might have had an election braai too :) Hope the weather is good for it!
Thanks for the ideas John! I used some of them, then ran out of time!
Post a Comment