Thursday, January 01, 2009

Random

Yesterday I walked to the shops a block or so from me. And for most of the way there was a man walking a bit behind me. Maybe about half way or three-quarters of the way there he caught up with me.

And for the rest of the way, he walked beside me. Lecturing me about the dangers of women walking alone!!

Really. He was almost irritated. "What would happen if some men jump on you?? And if I tried to protect you? I might get shot!" etc. etc.

So I just repeatedly mumbled "yes sir, sorry sir." :)

Which reminded me of another incident...

Some time ago I completely impulsively picked up a hitch hiker. In town, I was turning a corner and some guy walking past the corner asked me for a lift. And it was really hot and he was walking and really just impulsively I stopped the car and told him to hop in and asked where he wanted to go.

He only wanted to go a couple of blocks in the direction I was going. But he spent the whole trip lecturing me about the dangers of picking up hitch hikers. For serious.

I think he was just chancing it and it *completely* surprised him when I picked him up.

But it was pretty funny to be chastised for picking up hitch hikers by... a hitch hiker. :)

5 comments:

MoAfrika said...

Hello Laura. First things first, look after yourself and be careful. I say this as a father of a daughter who will soon be out of the house. Having said that, I don't wish for my daughter to be scared to go to the shops, around the corner, without military guard. Perhaps innocently, the two men you refer to endorse the evil perpetrated on womena and in fact give credence to the "she asked for it" retort that is blurted out everytime some animal does some unspeakable things to a woman. Ironically, women face more danger in their homes or familiar company and not from strangers. Like I said, be careful and for pete's sake get maze!!!!

MoAfrika said...

Ok, Laura I'm doing this for the second time, I don't seem to have been successful with my first attempt to post a comment to your blog. Anyways, the short of what I wished to post is that the two men are validating the "she asked for it nonsense" without even realising it. However, being a father of a girl who's about to leave the house soon, I'd say get maze, please!!!

Laura said...

Hi, thanks for the comments :)

I know, it is such a horrible fine line to walk between being careful and safe, and being paranoid and afraid all the time.

Why do you think they were endorsing violent against women??

(Oh the reason your comment didn't come up immediately is that I screen them before they are published... because sometimes I get spam comments for buying medication and that sort of thing, and every now and then I get some scary angry people commenting on my blog, I suppose when I am a bit controversial. And I'm all for dialogue but there are certain lines people shouldn't cross!! And if they do, their comments are deleted :) )

MoAfrika said...

Don't I feel the twit for commenting twice!!

Laura said...

:)