Thursday, January 22, 2009

COPE Manifesto launch


I'm pretty disappointed that I can't attend the COPE Election manifesto launch in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

So this post is an encouragement to others to go. And take pictures and report back to us. So we can live vicariously through you :)

News reporting of these kinds of events is usually awful, all you see is shots of people in yellow shirts and two minutes of some big shot making a speech. But what we really want to know, is how did it *feel* to be there? What were people talking about, what were people getting excited about? What was the response of the crowd like?

So yes, please go and let us know!

The details are:
THE MANIFESTO LAUNCH, PORT ELIZABETH THIS WEEKEND!!!

Manifesto Launch Programme – Kwa Zakhele township, Wolfsen stadium, Port Elizabeth, 24 January 2008

A New Agenda for change and hope for all

08:00 Gates open for arrival of attendants
09:00 – 10:30 Light entertainment by Deborah Fraser and other groups
10:30 – 11:00 Arrival of leadership and a walk about.
11:00 – 12:00 Commencement of formal Programme
MC: Mbazima Shilowa
• National anthem
• Welcome address by COPE chair in the Eastern Cape
• Interfaith prayers
• Item of song: Bala Brothers
• Acknowledgement of dignitaries
• Messages of support
12:00 – 12:15 Recruitment announcements by MC
12:15 Manifesto keynote address by President of COPE:
Mosiuoa Lekota
13:00 Change for Hope concert MC: Hlomla Dandala
Various artists
15:00 Rally concludes

If you are in need of transport, there are contact details for regional COPE leaders on the COPE Eastern Cape Facebook page, and details of transport arrangements should be up on that same Facebook page soon.

And if you are in the Grahamstown region and you want transport you can also drop me a line and I will give to contact details for COPE people from here
:)

6 comments:

MoAfrika said...

It sure looks like it will be interesting - the programme has some sleekness to it - maybe I should concede that it is Obama-ish.

Unknown said...

I will be on the look out for such for such up here in Jo'burg, but having been to so many rallies one almost knows what is going to happen. It will be interesting to look at it from the position of a pseudo reporter

TashJoeZA said...

What does everyone make of the SABC refusing to cover Cope's launch in full? Reasonable decision, since they're not even in Parliament (yet), or a shocking display of anti-opposition bias?

I caught the e-tv report on the launch in PE, and am hoping to find some time today to read the papers in some depth so I can see what they're saying. One concern for me is that they say some of their policies (especially around poverty alleviation) will only be ready six months after the elections. Surely developing policies around this issue is absolutely vital now? Even if it's just a matter of getting up and saying, "This is what we'd hope to achieve, but it will be changed/tweaked as we develop and grow as a party"?

Laura said...

So MoAfrika, having been to the manifesto event - was it Obama-ish? :)

Moremgolo, your blog is one of my newest favourites. How do your pronounce "Tlhware" - the Tlh?

Laura said...

VJ - you should check out MoAfrica's pics of the COPE manifesto!!

I don't think its too dramatic that SABC didn't give COPE all that much coverage. After all, there are lots off parties all putting out their election manifestos soonish. I suppose it there was anything out of line it was the hours of coverage of the ANC launch last week.
Although, for myself I would have preferred more COPE coverage :)

What do you think?

Unknown said...

Thanks Laura for the thumbs up. I also enjoy your blog immensely.

Pronounciation....hhmmm...its a bit difficult to explain...but you have to pronounce it as is with a bit of emphasis on the T and L and a softer H....gosh maybe I'm confisung you even more..lol..will research the phonetics of it.