Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Swinging like its 1945


I was in the middle of a blog post about the Iraq was and the Winter Soldier campaign when I had to leave it to go to my East Coast Swing dance class.

And it was too much fun not to write about - so for now, the Iraq was post is postponed. Watch this space!

East Coast Swing is a dance style with similar moves to the jitterbug and the jive. It's one one the swing styles danced in the USA in the 20's through 40's. Jazzy, lots of turning, bouncy. But the East Coast Swing is a bit more laid back than the serious serious Lindy Hop high speed stuff.

And I've just taken my 4th class! And who would have guessed, but it is an EPIC amount of fun. I am not sporty AT ALL, and I really can't dance (at weddings I'm the one sitting at the table hoping it will all end soon!).
But this, this is something else! It is *SO* much fun.

We have also been learning the basic Charleston and next week we are going to learn some moves to jazz the Charleston up.

I never ever thought I would enjoy it so much, I went reluctantly thinking it would be something interesting to do. And I'm loving it :)

So yes, I say to you all - if you get the chance, learn to swing! I'm going to need people to dance with when I am back home in SA!
And just in case you think its not African enough for you, I just tried the Charleston to Johnny Clegg's "Cruel, Crazy And Beautiful World." Brilliant!
Yup, Jika Majika, here I come!
Or maybe, better, "So you think you can dance?" ;)

2 comments:

TashJoeZA said...

You know, the trick to dancing is to stop caring what other people think or whether you can actually dance. Me, I'm so uncoordinated I make extremely drunk elephants look graceful. But I decided when I was 19 or so to stop caring and to just dance - it's a lot of fun. Dearly Beloved looks at me a little funny when we dance together, but oh well. :)
You'll have to return to our shores and teach us how to dance like this, I reckon.

Laura said...

:)

Wish I could stop myself caring *tries*