I haven't posted much here for a couple of weeks because I've been trying to be a hard working student. Also because I've been blogging on ONCtoday every now and then, and in studious mode I can't justify the time spent doing two sets of blog entries!
I'm waiting for my computer to run a task right now, so here I am, checking into my blog.
I'm going to a "Winter Soldier" talk tonight, where Iraq war vets telling their stories. Its funny how the term "war veterans" has a completely different connotation in America than in South Africa. In the US war vets are heros. On Tuesday it was Veteran's Day in the USA - a public holiday with children going to perform music concerts for war vets and "Thank you to our veterans" signs on the busses.
Anyway, this talk tonight is organised by a group called "Iraq Veterans Against the War," so it should be interesting.
I'm just finishing off reading "In a Differrent Time" by Peter Harris and I think it may be turning me into a pacifist. I went through a stage of "THE TRC?!?! WHAT WERE WE THINKING?? THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE IN JAIL!!!!! AT LEAST!!" But then I contemplated it some more... I was a bit distubed by my desire for vengence! It made me realise how wicked my own heart could be! Which moved me to the other side... I'n not really sure what I think of all of this now, but I'm leaning towards pacifism :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Laura your no post turned out to be a great post. This goes to show how some are so gifted.
Those who religiously follow your blog feel cheated when you don`t post regularly.
All the same, all the best for your studies.
^^^ I agree with Frank on this one, one blog post per week isn't too much to ask for
Thanks frank, aquilogy!
*Resolves to blog*
What they said, again. :)
I'm interested, though, in your sense that war vets are heroes in the US but not heroes here or elsewhere on the continent - I think they are, actually. It's just that the term "war veteran" has become something sinister because of Zim's "war veterans". No?
^ Ja, I think thats true.
I'm sure different sectors of society think of it very differently too.
For me, the connotations that go along with soldier generally are things like: violent, brutal, cruel, capricious etc. etc.
Its not a rational thing, those are just the ideas that go along with army/soldier in my head. When I see someone in army gear I don't feel safe and secure, I stay away.
Versus in the States where soldiers are "our troops" and you see pictures of soldier giving candy to children and what not. Collections to send thanksgiving baskets to "our troops," waving flags and bugle music, honour and pride and so on.
(Disclaimer - I have met some great army people in SA and I have no doubly that most of the people who fought for us on any side were to be admired! Its just not the first thing that comes to mind when someone says "soldier"!)
Post a Comment