Lord, grant that I may seek rather
to understand, than to be understood;
(from the Prayer of St Francis)
I was in the States for a bit last year, in a smallish city called Urbana-Champaign. They have local TV stations there, and there was one particular TV stations that was just for that city, where they had city wide notices and ads and so forth. Similar to our local radio stations in some ways, I suppose.
One of the things they aired was what appeared to be town council meetings. Oh my actual goodness. Those things were boring. They would go on for hours and hours and the format would be something like this:
Public meeting about a problem with parking demarcation in the city centre.
Council/Committee thing of about 6-8 people preside over the meeting, which is open to the public. They are seated at a head table and there is a central mike open to the floor, which people take turns at.
Events as follows:
Mr Smith (at open mike): Hello, I am Mr Smith, owner of the stationary store. I believe that changing parking rates in my area will negtively affect my business which is primarily from blah blah blah...... (5 minutes pass)
Mr Council Member 1: Thank you Mr Smith.
Mr Hewlett (at open mike): Good morning, I am Mr Hewlett from the traffic department. Let me explain our plan to rezone the parking areas. There will now be two classes of parking, for the inner city and outer city areas. This was motivated by the desire to cut down on traffic congestion in the very inner city. The price of the new inner city parking will be... blah blah blah... the inner city zone will span from Tulip Street in the East to Henry Street in the West... blah blah blah blah.
Mr Council Member 1: Thank you Mr Hewlett for explaining that to us. Will the new zoning plans be available for public scrutiny?
Mr Hewlett (at open mike): Yes sir, they are available at the traffic offices in Brown Street.
Mr Council Member 1: Good. Who is next?
Mrs Ramsey (at open mike): Good morning Mr Council Member 1.
Mr Council Member 1: Good morning Mrs Ramsey, good to see you today.
Mrs Ramsey (at open mike): Thank you Mr Council Member 1. Mr Council Member, I am here to speak for the Greaves Old Age Home association. As you know, our home is situated on the corner of Fourth and Elm street, on the edge of the new inner city, higher price parking zone. We request that the council require the traffic department to move the inner parking zone to the other size of Honeysuckle street so that we are not effected by the higher parking traffic. We are all pensioners, as you know, and the higher price will effect us particularly harshly. The few of us who have cars really have no other place to park them than in the Elm Street parking bays, and our guests would also be effected by the new prices. The option of parking the few streets away in Henry Street is really not viable for many of our old people, the walk is not short and safety is also a consideration in the evening... blah blah blah....
Mr Council Member 1: Thank you Mrs Ramsey, we will take that into account.
Mr Council Member 2: Yes fellow council members and public, I want to add my support to that point. The issue of safety really is an important one.
Mr Gariep (at open mike): Good morning everyone. I would just like to put in my support for the rezoning. I run my IT business from offices in the inner zone and I welcome any plans to sort out the traffic problem in our area. Our customers often have to park several blocks away and I'm sure that this negatively effects my business... I feel that the increase in parking fees is quite nominal, and will hopefully only serve to encourage the many shop employees from our area to make use of the parking lots in the outer city zone rather than parking in our streets and making it difficult for customers to find parking... blah blah blah...
Mr Council Member 1: Thank you Mr Gariep. Which is your business?
Mr Gariep (at open mike): I run Gariep IT Consulting on Frere Street Mr Council Member 1.
Mr Council Member 1: Thank you. Mrs Hill, I see you will be adressing us next. Are you addressing us on behalf of the Brooke High School governing body?
Mrs Hill (at open mike): Yes I am Mr Council Member 1...
... meeting goes on and on and on and more people have their turn to speak...
(Completely made up, but representing the real meetings!)
Woah. Man this stuff was BORING. Boring. Unbelievably boring. It was so boring it made me curious and I watched an hour here and there. There was the one about parking rezoning (simulated above!). Another about plumbing problems on some pavements and who should be held responsible to pay. Another about some sortof rent-though-food stamps scheme and home owners objections to it.
And everyone in the world had the opportunity to speak. Little old ladies, men in suits, officials, residents, angry pro-poor people who accuse house rentors or being evil, lawyers, house owners who go into great boring detail about the intricacies of lease clauses. Articulate people, rambling people, concise people, irritated people, knowledgable people, angry people, poor people, middle class people, old people...
Sheesh.
And those councillors just sat and listened and listened and listened. Occasionally they might speak amongst themselves or address a member of the public who was speaking, either to add their opinion or to note something or ask something...
Now I'm not sure how their local government systems work there, but presumably at the end of it all the council weighs up what was said and them makes their decisions or rulings or whatever.
Wow. Imagine living in a society where our leaders listened to us. Where we felt there was a platform to make ourselves heard. On any issue, big or small. Imagine a society where we politely listen to people we completely disagree with, even if they are long winded and emotional, or inarticulate, or unimportant members of society. And then we consider what they have said.
And moreover, we welcome their chance to address us. We don't only want to hear from the people we agree with. Or the people who support us. We want everyone to be given a chance to have their say. And for that ideal we are willing to endure incredibly long, incredibly boring meetings.
We also don't only want the chance to speak. We also want to chance to listen. We welcome the chance to listen. Just like we fight for our right to be heard, we also fight for our opportunity to hear.
That is democracy working.



1 comment:
Laura,
Basically every city in the whole US has those meetings. That's a whole lot of boring!
But, I guess we take it for granted, in light of what you're saying. It is good to be heard, and to listen too.
I don't know if you remember me from the Don Miller Fan site, but that is where we 'met.' I have been to South Africa and am wanting to go back to hopefully do some research on education there. If you have a chance, I would love to dialog with you about that. My email is meether369@gmail.com.
Thanks, Melissa
Post a Comment