Friday, January 18, 2008

On the other hand

While I was having dinner with some people yesterday I was digging around in my bag to look for something, when a friend noticed the book I'm reading - Fred Khumalo's "Touch my blood." I went to look for his latest novel at the library, but they didn't have it. The librarian so enthusiastically offered me his biography as compensation that I felt I had to enthusiastically receive it. I'm enjoying it, by the way, I recommend it. The only thing that I haven't enjoyed is the sexual details. Not great at all. It was the same with Ndumiso Ngcobo's book. Eish, the marmite chapter. Perhaps just skip that chapter, if you are considering reading the book.

Anyway, I digress badly. The point is, my friend saw the Khumalo book and immediately said she had read his "Yo Niggaz" column, someone had given her a printed copy. And she objected *most* strongly to his opinion on the whole ebonics issue. Its an identity thing... Why is it that people identify themselves with this use of language, she asks... these sorts of things need proper research, she says. And more, with bigger words. She is a English Masters student so I have to bow to her knowledge of such things.

So I suppose like so many like race, class, culture issues, there is more to it than the appearance of things.

No comments: