The South African Minister of Defence, Mosiuoa Lekota, was arrested for speeding a couple of days ago. He was going at the whopping speed of about 180 km/hr. That doesn't happen by accident.
Oh woe is us, another tale of the sad state of South African leadership? Actually, I see something entirely different here, something very encouraging actually.
Speeding is bad, 180 km/hr is just entirely unacceptable. And by a Minister of our government, who should be setting an example, who should be beyond reproach, thats even worse. But I think the outcome of the whole incident is just a breath of fresh air.
He complied with the police when he was arrested, he went to court, admitted his guilt, and was sentenced. And it looks like he was really ashamed of himself, honestly remorseful. I suppose that could have just been the angle he was taking to get off lightly, but it seems legitimate from his comments.
Wow, what a breath of fresh air. No bravado, claims of innocence, egging on supporters, no shadiness, no arrogance or attitude of being above the law. What a pleasure. We can't just overlook his offense. But honesty, remorse, humility, these are qualities I can admire. And I think thats a hopeful thing to see in a South African leader.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment