I just so happen to be in a smallish town in the USA at the moment. And it just so happens that this smallish town has been in the national news in the US: it has become a hide out for House Democrats.
I don't really understand American politics, but I think the bottom line is that the Republicans now have a majority in the House in some states. So they can pass bills that the Democrats object to, because of their majority vote.
So the Democrat strategy is to literally run away - they escape to other states, so the Republicans don't have quorum, and can't pass their bills.
Apparently there are over 30 House Democrats from other states holed up in motels in the city I'm in.
And what is even more ludicrous is the fact that this is a tried and true, long standing American political tradition. Lincoln himself once jumped out of a window and ran away to stop the Democrats getting quorum!
Wednesday, March 09, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Well you know Laura to some degree we also do that. We just stay home because we do not have the convulated US system of parli.
Post a Comment