Friday, August 13, 2010

The media bruhaha*

Things are a bit cloudy, what with "the media" being the ones informing us about the "attack on the media" and how we are reverting to nationalist regime censorship, on the way to becoming Zimbabwe, on the way to totalitarian rule, on the path to shameless corruption and cronyism and what not...

Up till yesterday, all I could find was journalists and editors and media experts and so on telling us that the end is nigh. It has been a bit tough to find some diversity of opinion** in the media. What with the media having a massive vested interest in this subject.

But anyway, yesterday and today I found a few great articles providing some alternative view points on this topic. Here they are! I'll add more if I find more.

  • Burning Paper: Does the ANC have a point about the media?
  • Blogging with Bayanda: “…we ask for no favours from the media and we expect none”
  • SA Good News: Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media - are they the same thing?
  • 6000: If you want media freedom
  • Afro-I-Can: Protection of Information Bill and the Media Tribunal; much ado about everything


* I have no idea how to spell bruhaha, I poached it from elsewhere!
** Diversity of opinion... haven't I heard that somewhere before? Oh, wait, it was here: Media Diversity and Ownership ;)

No comments: