I've been out of town for a few days schmoozing at a conference. Actually, I hate schmoozing so I mostly tagged around with my friend who is a good schmoozer. She is very outgoing and does really well in these sort of conference environments, where it is mostly a matter of making small talk with strange men. Me, I just drink my coffee and hope the break ends soon so we can get back to listening to talks.
Anyway, all of the important scientist people were hogging the power points at the conference so I didn't manage to blog.
We stayed at the most wonderful accommodation in Cape Town. It was this little apartment on Green Market Square, rented by fzp properties. If anyone is looking for a place to stay in CT, I highly recommend one of their apartments.
Trip highlights:
* My supervisor lending us his rental car (woop woop!!)
* Meeting some interesting scientists from Europe.
* Dinner with lovely people.
* Tea with a friend who recently moved away from CT.
* Dinner at MacAfrica (Moyo) - some cheesy Africa-for-tourists stuff, but the setting was beautiful.
* The cute little apartment we stayed in. We have stayed in some really questionable places over the years, and this little place was a real winner.
* Coming home!!! (Always a highlight!)
Oh and wait, I just thought of another:
* Finding out that a friend I know is also secretly a bit impressed with Mangosuthu Buthelezi. I don't know, there is just something about him. My digsmate says he is "regal".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
*grin*
There's nothing secret about my admiration for the chief. I think he's whoppingly cool, his media statements are always something special to read and wow, he's aged well! Eighty years old and he looks so young. I wonder what vitamins he takes?
Ah you win :)
I was trying not to sound like a groupie, hehe
(Megan and I once followed good old FW around a mall and got written up in the local paper as his trail of admirers)
I never thought I would come accross folks who admire the chief even less those who would do so publicly. Anyway, I find it hard to admire war-mongers of any hue. There is something repulsive about killing or having people who disagree with you killed. I recently re-read an account of the actions of those men trained around the caprivi strip. Anyways maybe it's the coward in me but the whole spear and traditional weapons thing just gets my back up. Before you sink your teeth into me Vamp, I still dig you bro.
lol
^ That is exactly why I was trying to be a bit circumspect about it. I understand there is a lot that is really not admirable about this man. He just has this strangely impressive air about him.
Impressive my foot! Sinister maybe, but definitely not impressive. The difference between him and Mugabe is that he does not rule a country or province.
LOL
I am just displaying my (relative) youth and ignorance :)
Just to add my two cents' worth, I think MoAfrika is being disengenous. Wasn't this Codesa thing all about forgiveness and burying the hatchet. The Chief was supported by the apartheid government in the atrocities that he was involved in and we have seen some of the apartheid leaders wash other people's feet. We have also seen some of them denying their involvement in the killing (FW was at the forefront of this)
The ANC has also killed a lot of people and they have not owned up. Many of AZAPO supporters were killed in the 80's by supporters of the ANC but this has been swept under the carpet.
FW, Mangosuthu, the ANC have all contributed to the killing of innocent people along the way. Yes I agree that we cannot equate the fight for liberation with FW's party to retain it.
Thanks Moremogolo :)
On a different note - did you see the AZAPO people at the election debate last night?? Goodness! "Exercising their right to protest" the AZAPO spokesperson said!
Mo, dude, I still like you, too - we can have these little blog spats without compromising our friendship, eh? :)
I concur with what you say - historically, and perhaps even currently, he's not necessarily a nice guy. But that's not to say he doesn't come across (to me, and to Laura, for instance) as extremely charismatic and engaging.
Just because he's a good orator doesn't make him a good person, I agree - but my admiration for him is based purely on face value, and does not go any deeper!
Post a Comment