I was going to do a blog post about Gadaffi's female bodyguards. (He is such an odd man - on the new yesterday he was quoted as saying that Somalian pirates are just protecting themselves from the greed of the west... see here.)
But instead I put to you this semi-urgent appeal...
My church is having an "African fusion" evening this week. Which should be much fun. We did it last year too and the theme was "telling our stories" and it was great.
Anyway, one of the organisers of this years event asked me this morning to participate, to share some funny stories about race.
So I impulsively said yes.
Eeek. Silly silly of me.
Now I am completely blank. And I have to stand in front of a crowd of people and tell stories about race that:
a) Make people laugh.
b) Don't offend people and ruin the evening.
And there are few more sensitive issues than race. Eeek. So I'm really not sure what to do.
So yes, I call upon you all, gentle readers, to help me out. Please, any ideas? And stories? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Here's a story for you:
I'm a white female, late middle-age, real WASP type (as you well know!) and some years ago had a new black colleague at work about the same age. For a long time we were scrupulously polite and formal, but could never break through the black/white thing and relax with each other.
One day when I was feeling my age and wrinkles particularly, I blurted out to her, "I so envy you! Black women always have beautiful smooth young-looking skin all their lives, then suddenly one day you're old and a respected elder. It's no fun with this creeping onslaught of old age!"
She looked at me with absolute astonishment, then said,"I envy you! I wish I had smooth glossy hair instead of trying to tame mine!"
We both burst out laughing, and since then have been great friends, swapping recipes, jokes and stories of our kids. But it took a long time to get over our colour consciousness and see the person, not the colour.
This might not mean much to young people who have grown up together, but for us it was a huge hurdle to overcome. Maybe it will strike a chord with someone you speak to.
Another idea - check your post of last Sunday with D's comment about her church. That might raise a laugh!
Ok Laura, this may be offensive but it has to be asked: why is it that when white people sing in church, they sing in one voice. I go to a white church, and the singing is the one thing that really makes me miss home church, where people sing in different voices. Another thing, young people do not come to church, it is only onld people, 50+ should we not explore this?
^ thats not offensive :)
Are you talking about white churches where people sing along a single tune, but in black churches people harmonise more? Like sing different parts, higher or lower than the main tune?
Ja, white churches are often pretty boring like that. I think thats completely just a cultural thing. Thats what they grew up with, so that is what they do. And white churches with younger congregations usually play rock-style music, which also doesn't lend itself to "different voices."
It would be nice to have more diversity in the music we sing in church. I suppose it also depends on who you have to lead the worship. If they can only do a certain style then you are stuck with that.
On the "young people" thing - my church is probably 90 percent below the age of 30 and maybe 75 percent below the age of 25!! So that is not a problem for us :)
I think more traditional denominations sometimes have problems with attracting young people, though not always.
What are your thoughts on the matter?
Hey Laura, have you received anything worth your while?
Post a Comment