I just wrote a post about the strangest series of articles recently published by The Sowetan. I eventually decided to post the ... uh ... post on ONC Today, here.
But seriously, check it out. It is mostly about this "expose" The Sowetan did of a guy in Meyerton who was accused by his domestic worker of assaulting her. But then it turned out he had quite a few other charges against him. But the local magistrate was his buddie, so he had been getting away with all of it.
What is really interesting though is that I can't find any other newspapers reporting on it. I tried iol. I tried news24. I tried the Mail and Guardian. I even tried google. And had no luck.
Maybe The Sowetan is not so reputable - is it? I have no idea myself. But even if The Sowetan was blowing it out of proportion, it still seems newsworth to me. Why no cover in other papers? It is all very curious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Laura, thank you for your comments. What is sad about our country and continent is not the poverty and the senseless dictatorships, it is the absence of conversation and sharing of ideas. I wish you all the best in the new year and hope you will encourage conversation wherever you go, all the time, especially with people you do not necessarily agree with.
Hi - I loved your blog :)
I am really incredibly blessed in life to have a bunch of friends with very diverse opinions. Where we can sit around a table and argue and get heated about things...
The day Mbeki was fired I happened to be out and I got a frantic call to say I need to get to a radio/TV so I did, then got home and we sat in front of the news with friends for the rest of the day. And between us we have Mbeki supporters and people who think Mbeki is evil. And we sit and fight about it and discuss recent developments and news we have read and wrack other people's brains.
Really, it is one of my favourite things.
And as you say - especially with people you don't necessarily agree with!! :)
Happy New Year to you!
The sowetan went to the dogs when the Daily Sun came into the picture, their readership started falling, they panicked and slowly transformed themselves into a cheap tabloid. It has a great legay, it's sad to see a paper with such a history being reduced to such filth!
Post a Comment