
My question of the day:
What happened to former Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) soldiers?
Reading around a bit, it looks like some of them joined the SANDF. What proportion was this? Did most of them join the SANDF? Or relatively few? And those that didn't? Were they helped out in any way? By the ANC or by government? What about families of deceased MK soldiers? I read about the MKMVA - the MK Military Vetrans' Association. What do they do? Do they actually help former MK guys out? And MK widows and families?
I was looking at an old 1994-ish era newspaper and I noticed a big picture of about five MK soldiers, looking pretty happy, in their camo. Celebrating the beginning of democracy I guess. And the picture made me sad. Because I thought, a former MK soldier, maybe he was 24 in 1990, and apartheid was ending, hooray, and MK was disbanded. And I wondered what happened to him? He probably didn't have much of an education. Maybe he left school at 17 to go for MK training over the border. So what then, for him? Does he have a family to support?
And really I don't have much of an idea of what happened to guys like those in the picture. I hope someone helped them out. I hope there were measures in place for them.
Because I would hate to think that people who fought for the freedom of my country were marginalised when that freedom was won. Young people who sacrificed a lot. Took up arms. Probably left their families and even South Africa for a time. Constantly under threat. Goodness I hope they didn't wake up to a country that didn't have place for them.
We may or may not agree with the armed struggle, what was done and what motivated it, but either way I think we need to acknowledge people who sacrificed a lot for our country.
So does anyone know? What happened to former MK soldiers?



3 comments:
Very good questions, and pertinent. Have you thought about trotting off to the history department, or finding out who is a good history teacher @ one of the local schools?
Ah friend!! One day when I am not trying to finish a thesis!! Maybe I could find a way to make a living investigating the welfare of former MK soldiers??
Don't worry, they'll be fine. They've got another big job coming up soon. It's called uhuru.
Post a Comment