Saturday, April 26, 2008

In the archives

My mother is a librarian. So she always insisted that I keep newspaper clippings of important events.

I was thinking about how to celebrate Freedom Day (tomorrow) when I remembered this, and I scratched around for them. And found a most enormous pile of newspaper clippings, starting from about 1992! What an exciting find! Thank the Lord for my mother!

I've been going through them, and here are some classics:

The 1992 referendum.


Apartheid is over! (March 1992, after the referendum)


Voter info, 1993.


Beans and candles, remember? :)


That day, 27 April 1994. Look at the queue of people waiting to vote.


Down with the old flag, up with the new.


And finally, for good measure:

Winnie's hat!


If I find more good ones I'll upload them later. What a trip down memory lane! It really made me remember how exciting it all was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that brings back memories. You are so lucky to have them. Haha - I remember the stockpiling! I think my dad still had candles and baked beans in his cupboard when he died last year!

Melita said...

What a lovely post, Laurie. Please find some more and post them, I definitely haven't kept any newspaper clippings from important times in our history.

Nice one. Thanks. :)

Laura said...

Melita!

Why can't I see your blogger profile? Do you have a blog?? :)

I actually have a whole pile of these at home. I need to do something to sort and preserve them, but I'm not sure exactly what...