I know this is quite frivolous, but I used to be quite an ardent Isidingo fan. (The reason for the wikipedia link, rather than the official website link, is that the official site requires you to register before you actually get any information. No thank you.)
For the benefit of non-South Africans: Isidingo (Isi) is a South African soapie, on at 6:30 every weekday evening.
The major thing that turned me away from Isi was Rajesh and Lee breaking up. That was sad for me... Rajesh was Mr Moral High Ground and he slowly became more and more dubious until he is now crazed and in jail. That was almost the end of Isi for me. Rajesh was my favourite character.
I still watch every now and then, when I find myself in from of the TV at 6:30. Which of course is often enough to follow the plot sortof. It is a soapie after all.
After the demise of Rajesh's character, the one beacon of light for me was Parsons and Nandipha. I dig Parsons, I dig Nandipha. I dug their relationship.
And now thats going south too! Whats going on??
Maybe I'm an atypical viewer, but I actually like shows where people have healthy devoted relationships, where people love each other and sacrifice for each other and what not. Am I alone in that? Are other viewers only interested in skande? Are the scriptwriters running out of ideas?
I like interesting plot lines, for sure. But come on, why are you messing with Parsons and Nandipha?
But actually this post was inspired by Parsons new lady friend, Thandi. Did anyone notice in Isidingo tonight that while she was getting ready for dinner with him her hair was curled. Then at dinner it was straight. Then after dinner it was curled again?
Come now Isidingo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
I haven't watched 'dingo for ages - it used to be a favourite in my digs in 2005 and 2006. We'd cram onto the couches with assorted pets, boyfriends, girlfriends etc and enjoy some seriously interactive viewing. I stopped watching sometime in 2007; it just stopped being interesting, I guess. When I do flip over these days, I'm horrified to see that they've decided to gun for Parsons and Nandipha, and that really arb characters like Farrow have become major players. Sigh. If you're looking for a good soapie, check out 7de Laan - it's surprisingly fun and the characters are real people, doing real things (sometimes boringly real). And there are subtitles if, like me, your Afrikaans has stagnated since Matric.
I'm not an Isidingo fan, I only watch when something scandalous happens. The script writers now about people like me that's why they always find a way to make trouble with the character's relationship.
I agree with VampyreJ - 7de laan is indeed the way forward! I stopped watching Isi a long time ago - it just got too serious. While Laan is at times kinda lame, the thing i like about it is it doesn't take itself seriously at all. You can see the actors have so much fun filming it! There is a good mix of healthy and not-so-healthy relationships on the show. And it's based on the hip suburb I work in, which is even cooler.
I agree with VampyreJ - 7de laan is the way forward! I stopped watching Isi a while ago - it got too boring and serious for me. Although 'laan' can at times be a bit cheesy, the thing I like is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. You can see the actors have a lot of fun filming it. There's a good mix of healthy and not-so-healthy relationships on the show. It's also set in the hip suburb I work in, which is even cooler!
My only gripe with 7de Laan is that there are several characters I could gladly axe murder, starting with Paula, working my way through Lienkie (ugh) and stalking swiftly after Neville's ex-wife, whose name escapes me now. I understand that every soapie needs it "love 'em or hate 'em" characters, but that accounts for about half the Laan's cast!
PS. Heather, have you appeared as an extra yet???
Haha, maybe I should become an extra! I'd get to mingle with **celebrities**.
About those irritating characters - there's certainly a truckload of them. My top ones: Mandla ("Eggieeee"), Paula, Felicity and Lienkie. Strangle strangle.
Remember Brandt van den Bergh???
*dies laughing*
I actually am a simultaneous Isi and 7de watcher because half my digs prefer 7de and half Isi. So we just hope from one to the other.
I just haven't bonded with the 7de characters, maybe I should try.
Heather, so wait... its based there like they actually shoot it there?!?
nah they shoot it in a studio. Just that the suburb they live in (Hillside) is meant to be Melville.
Post a Comment